View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 12:22 PM   #48
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<< I think Lance and many pro athletes use illegal performance-enhancing substances (to take themselves to the next level or to just keep up with the competition) but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. Nothing takes away from the fact that he's a great cyclist. Same thing with steroids in baseball - who cares (as long as they don't go around pusing it to others or publicizing it)? Just my .02. >>

In weight-lifting they have a category for people who HAVEN'T used steroids because the records are otherwise tainted.

In Baseball, if the guy who hit the most homeruns is a steroid junky, I don't want my kid idolizing him. So it is very important to me.
>>

Actually it's a known fact that most of the natural and NPC bodybuilding tourneys consist of juiced up contestants. It's pretty easy to bypass most steroid tests if you use one with a relatively short half life. But I do see your point though.

As for the comment on children idolizing these athletes, I agree but there's really nothing anyone can do about it. Fact is, many athletes have been using illegal substances for years but it is only now being brought to light. I try not to read all those anti-steroid and even anti-ephedrine articles..I just watch and enjoy the game. What athletes do in their own time is none of my business (and I don't think the media should be so quick to publish any and all &quot;shocking&quot; exposes). They're adult enough to make their own decisions, and I'm sure they're aware of the possible consequences of their drug use anyhow.. It's our duty to educate our children on what is right and wrong (just like if a child sees his favorite NBA player smoking and drinking or hears they got busted with weed..I don't think that's going to make them want to emulate them, especially if the parent tells them how harmful those things are).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote