View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #25
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Dal/Port Would you do it? Would Portland?

Quote:
Wow.... all the trades mentioned in this topic are simply HORRIBLE. I don't see how dumping Fin's contract and getting nothing back in return is a positive?
Theo Ratliff is nothing? This team needs shot blocking and this guy provides that. We have an overload of SG/SFs and one too few PF/Cs, so this trade makes perfect sense.

Quote:
First of all you don't trade away the team leader (especially for nothing).
How long are some of you going to hold onto that myth from the days we were bad? Those days are over, Josh Howard is "the heart and soul" of Dallas. Theo Ratliff helps this team more than Michael Finley does, point blank.

Quote:
Secondly, Fin is still productive and I expect him to have a great season next year coming off of the surgery. Not to mention the fact you're just asking to kill the team chemistry by trading him away.
Uh-huh, just like letting Nash walked killed the chemistry of this team. We won 58 games, 7 more than we did the year before, so things seem peachy to me. Michael Finley does not start in Miami, San Antonio, or Phoenix and our goals as a title contender should be to be as good/better than those teams next year.

Quote:
Now on "dumping" Daniels contract? You've got to be kidding me...seriously do you have any idea what you’re talking about? Daniels is making about the MLE for the next 5 years and that’s a great contract for the Mavs to have.
Yes, I know exactly what I am talking about. Marquis Daniels wasn't drafed, ie he was the 61st pick of the 2004 Draft yet here he is making more than LeBron James. We have a starting SG that makes more money than Tracy McGrady and a backup that makes more than LeBron James. You can't convince me that those are good contracts.

Quote:
1.) He's young and has the chance to be something great, he's shown a lot of flashes (last years playoffs…enough said).
So because had a good 5 game series, not even great, and we are supposed to pay him $40,000,000 over 6 years? Makes no sense, he had a good 19 game stretch and Dallas overpaid.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that he will be MUCH more productive next year after having a whole off-season with AJ and not being bothered by the injury bug (hopefully) anymore.
Or, maybe there is a reason he wasn't drafted. Maybe he benefited by being the right guy at the right time in an offense with Dirk, Nash, Jamison, Walker, Finley, etc...ie he never saw doubles, he never went against the opponets best defenders, etc...he was unscouted and he had a good run. DeShawn Stevenson averaged 17 ppg over a month stretch this year, would you give him $40,000,000 and let Steve Nash walk for $65,000,000? Makes no sense. I wish Quis the best of luck, we need a SG. We have a decent starter in Stackhouse, a spot up shooter off of the bench type in Michael Finley, and no true starter. If Quis can add a jumper it would be great but, again, the guy went undrafted and in two years in the NBA has yet to add that. I don't see a reason to hang your hat on him.

Quote:
Trade away a team leader and starter for nothing.... makes sense, right. "Dump" your future away.... makes even more sense, wow.
I never said anything about trading Josh Howard or Devin Harris.

Quote:
We are so far over the salary cap that dumping Finley doesn't do us any good. Even if we were to get rid of his contract, we wouldn't be able to do anything in free agency. The only way to get any value for Finley is through a trade.
That is just it, you have to listen carefully. Cuban doesn't want added payroll but in the next 4 years we are going to have to extend Jason Terry, Josh Howad, and Devin Harris. So that cash has to come from somewhere, someones contract is going to have to expire. It appears that Van Horn will, I guess they can wait it out with Finley too but I am sure Cuban would love to get more space now to sign these guys back or else we are going to have a $120,000,000 payroll which is something this owner, nor any owner, will do.

You can either work smartly towards ways to keep Jet, Josh, and DH or you can hang your hat on Finley and Quis and watch better talent walk away. I don't know about you, but after watching the MVP walk, I am tired of the better talent walking while we are stuck paying Finley $52,000,000 over three years. We lost Nash because of Finley.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote