View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

What Charlie Waters knows about that Robert Newhouse TD pass in Super Bowl XII that you don’t

Charlie Waters heard the news Monday night that his friend and former teammate had died.

His time since then has focused on the qualities that made Robert Newhouse special, the memories of their days together with the Cowboys and that pass in the Super Bowl.

“I’ve been thinking about him a lot,’’ Waters said. “When you lose a warrior like this, somebody as special a Bobby Newhouse, it really gets to you. This one has gotten to me.

“Bob would do anything for anybody else. He’s one of the most interesting, caring, selfless, entertaining characters that we had on our ballclub. He would do anything for the team or the guy next to him. He had an absolute tremendous sense of humor. He made friends with everybody and was probably the most popular player on the team.

“His thighs were as big around as my waist. Huge. Almost as big as Earl Campbell. He didn’t have the numbers that Earl had but he had the heart, a heart the size of Texas.’’

Waters remembers how Newhouse struggled week after week throughout his career to keep his weight in check so he wouldn’t be fined.

“He knew he would have to fast at end of the week,’’ Waters said. “Then he goes into the sauna, takes a cup with him and spits into the cup likes he’s going to lose that extra two ounces or half pound.

“We used to tease him unmercifully. He would just smile and say, ‘hey, all I need is one more half pound.’’’

And what about that 29-yard touchdown pass the fullback threw to Golden Richards in the Cowboys victory over Denver in Super Bowl XII?

“Every time we ran that play in practice prior to the Super Bowl, we would always run it to the right side where it was easiest to run,’’ Waters said. “Never once did he complete a pass. Not once in the two weeks. He would throw these passes that looked like a helicopter. They would spin sideways.

“It was unbelievable that this guy, on Super Bowl Sunday, not only ran the ball the wrong way but went across his body to throw this perfect pass. I will never forget how happy he was. And then he played the big dog.

“He was a gift for all of us to enjoy, an absolute wonderful man.’’

by; David Moore – Dallas Morning News
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...you-dont.html/

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 07-24-2014 at 01:48 PM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote