View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Dampier, Dallas, and the Bobcats?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chef Ed
Finley question?

If the Maverick's couldn't lower the number of bodies on the roster then why wouldn't they just do a trade straight up for Dampier? Why would they involve the Bobcats in the first place?

I don't know enough about the CBA to get into trade scenarios and I never have. It makes me look more stupid than most of you think I already am, but with that said, it seems to me that a three way deal can only mean that the Mav's are doing something not only to get Dampier, but to reduce the roster as well.

Am I on the right track here, or am I missing something.
Briefly - Mavs give a player to Bob & get a trade exception in the amount of the salary given away (Bob can only take a player without giving a player back if they are under the cap... which they are.)

Next Mavs send the exception to GSW for Dampier. Dallas can assume salary equivalent to the TE. GSW gets nothing but they don't assume any payroll. To make the deal work the Mavs would have to throw in a pick ... and they may use an expiring contract and or $3.1 million TE they already have to lower GS's payroll further. In other words something like this might work:

Dallas send Stack to Bob for TE
Dallas sends TE (Stack) & pick for Dampier AND TE + pick for Esch

I don't like the Esch enticer .... but a stright "TE + pick" for Damp could get real ugly. Dependong on how much you value Dampier it could be worth it.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote