View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I am, of course, no scientist--and in this case, that may not be a bad thing--but I've always viewed it as the ultimate pinnacle of human arrogance to think that we can somehow, with our aerosols and burning fossil fuels, dramatically alter the landscape of a celestial object.

In short, my belief is that the earth is a whole lot bigger than we are. And I belief that life--the hardy kind of life that survived all kinds of conditions and got us to where we are now--will continue on.

Do I believe that we should be responsible stewards of the planet, else we bring about our own demise? Not in the least, at least not in the sense that that phrase is understood. I believe that we are, to our planet, the most infinitessimal bearing on its being. In other words, I believe that we could try our damndest to make it unhabitable, and we would never succeed.

Some things are way, way, WAY bigger than we are.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote