View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #76
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaadverse
And that's precisely why I think, against all odds and with every advantage, this is going to another blown election for the Dems. While keeping the drumbeat of all these issues that they think are somehow relevant, it's hard to find many moderates who are afraid that electing McCain means teaching creationism and repeal of Roe versus Wade is imminent.

The public face of the Democratic Party over the last decade or so has gone so far left with the Michael Moore and Whoopie Goldbergs, and having Dean for DNC head is illustrative of just how far off of mainstream the party has gone. 2000 shouldn't have been close enough to steal.

Watching Dem leaders holding up a muffler supposedly off the Porsche in back of them and saying that's how the taxcuts will work, rich people get the car, you get the muffler. I was living in North Carolina at the time, I was in one of those Bennigan type restaurants eating at the bar when that little stunt came on. The guy sitting next to me, a blue collar guy, said he'd want the muffler because it beat the nothing he was getting now. We know what happened in the '02 elections.

'04? Lurch. Dressing him up, giving him a gun and getting him to walk around with some of the boys, taking him to a place serving chili dogs where he promptly grabbed it in the middle, tilted it and seemed amazed when the stuff started running out the end is not going to remake him into a regular guy.

Hillary Clinton suddenly feeling a need to start talking about how important her religion has been to her, didn't do much for me except putting a vision of a strategy meeting full of carefully coiffed and moisturized people saying, "Talk about religion. They seem to like that crap".

I'm not a hardcore Republican. I was pretty well set to vote Democratic in '04, if I would have had a shot at a reasonably centrist candidate who didn't have a wife that was like biting tinfoil on a filling. I wouldn't have minded Kerry if his handlers hadn't been so obviously trying to beat him into what people wanted.

Trying to beat up on Palin and all the McSame stuff isn't going to work. That works well if you want to turn the process into an echo chamber for the hardcore lefties. I don't see all the optimism over debating the issues winning the day that seems to be the current Dem hope.

In a 2+ year slog there is very little new information as far as the stance of the debaters on subjects. I have no idea why Palin has seemed to strike a chord with everyone, aside from a flavor of the month freshness and the natural admiration Americans have for a sneaky sucker punch wiping some smug off. Trying to beat her up at this point isn't going to make anyone change their opinion.

Obama was running against Obama. He damaged himself by overplaying Iraq, trying to explain the Wright stuff in a way that made Joe Sixpack and Cathy Cornstalk unable to picture themselves sitting in that pew for 20 years. Toss in Clinton and the joke Pelosi and Reed have made of Congress, his European triumphant tour ego orgy and we have a cakewalk flipped into a nail biter. He may still win, but if there is going to be a turd in the punchbowl, the odds are Biden or Obama will deposit it. Squalling about the race turning into a personality contest after Obama's run to this point is very O'Henry ironic.
Wow. That was an awesome post. Stay around here. It's nice to talk to someone who knows who O'Henry is and can say a ton in a few words. Nice post.

You have to spread some reputation around before giving it to aquaadverse again.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote