View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #424
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
You'd rather have three half-trained people with BIGGER priorities than security (like teaching) than one fully-trained officer who has no other priorities except for keeping the school safe, and you're citing MONEY as the reason?

Because 5K is a good amount of money to keep bullets out of your child's brain, but 35K is too much... (I mean, you could always just have another kid, right?)

Or maybe the problem is that 35K is too much to spend on a HYPOTHETICAL problem... I mean, you might want to invest in earthquake-proof buildings, lightening rods on swing sets, and a laser system that can shoot down asteroids - JUST IN CASE...

Or more realistically - where are the safeguards against teachers raping students? (because that happens a hell of a lot more than shootings, but nobody seems to be too concerned about persistent problems when we have so many rarities to worry about...)
Half-trained people. No. Trained people whose first concern is the kids yes. Some security guard that only make 35K a year is going to have more concern and know how to handle most of these situations better than a trained, concerned teacher who deals with children on a daily basis? -- depends on the security guard and the teachers I guess.

35K is not the issue-- many may or may not agree. I don't know if the schools budget will allow for full time security guard. I don't know if 35K would get a full time guard that would be a real benefit to the school. I don't know if you could get off-duty guys that are in the game there, or if there are already guys who have left law enforcement to teach.

I expect that you are basing much of what you are writing based upon larger districts that have the budget to do several things. I have been around school systems that didn't have high schools, but had the lower grades, and had to bus out the high schoolers. Everyone played multiple roles because the money just wasn't there in the budget. I have been around a school that canceled a football game because the bus broke down, and they used the money to fix the bus instead of carrying the boys to the game.

I don't know the situation so I am only presenting an option, that I think would be a better one than just allowing teachers to carry guns, if they have their CHL. And Yes, I would still rather have three concerned teachers with secured guns on my campus, than one security guard.

Please don't go there on your last paragraph. In 1968 we had more people killed on US highways than servicemen died in 11 years combined of combat in Vietnam. We still have around ~40 thousand every year killed on US highways, and NO ONE advocates outlawing cars. You pick your battles, and this one is the one that people are worried about at the present time.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote