View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #687
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
I was going to lose my mind before you eventually did mention Holtz. In the late '80s/early '90s before they moved to KRLD, and I could actually listen in Hamilton, Holtz was doing play-by-play at the beginning and end and Nadel only got the middle three. They may not have always done the 3-3-3 arrangement, but I can vouch it was that way at least from '91-'93 when I listened to every home game because we didn't get HSE. So to me, Holtz was a play-by-play guy moreso than an analyst.. and he was a god among men.
Yeah, it was WBAP in those days, right? 820 on your radio dial. Holtz was always a play-by-play guy. I may be mistaken, but I think Holtz used to do the play-by-play all nine innings, with Nadel as color only. I remember thinking it was weird when Holtz did color. But maybe that was just me getting used to it...not sure when Nadel got started...I was listening since about '86.

I had thought earlier that thiggy was talking about Barnett as being a new voice on the scene. I now realize that I was listening to him for at least last year. He's such a familiar voice to me, that it doesn't register. But now that I think back to last year, I'm not sure I can share thiggy's sentiment. Barnett does a good job of the capturing the moment, when it is big.

Speaking of, I think the greatest moment in all of Rangers broadcasting was Nadel saying "He's going after the legend!"
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote