View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
But going back to the Bell Ringers.... Why does it have to be about whether or not their religion will deliver us all to paradise? Why can't it just be about helping others? In the end, does the recipient of charity really care if that assistance came from a religious or a non-religious charity? I don't think so.
I highly doubt that the great majority of the change dropped in those buckets makes it to people in need. If there's one thing I know, it's that the "religion" industry is awfully easy to steal from.

I bet that for every quarter I toss in the bucket, at least ten cents lines somebody's pocket. Hell, it's probably twenty cents. Ten to the guy holding the bucket (he's not working for free) and ten to the higher-ups.

There's something about it that just feels dirty. And when it feels dirty, it's probably for good reason.

If you are feeling charitable, give yourself. That way you can be sure that your money isn't siphoned off by 90% before it gets to those who need it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote