View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #30
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:I have to say that any trade is useless...

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

Lol! Can you average over 20 pts 7 rbs a game in the NBA? If you can, go to the nearest open practice. Better yet, go to the Mavs practice. Of course, you'd keep quiet if you were being paid Jamison money coz you don't deserve it. Sorry buddy, there's reason why he's getting the money.
Yes there is a reason why he's being paid and it has nothing to do with bitching and whining. He's being paid to help his team win and do what his coach tells him to do to the best of his abilities. And at my job I don't always get my way. Things are quite often not done the way I think best. But I'm paid good money, not near what Jamison makes, but a lot more than most people, to use some unique skills that I have. And I try to go out and do my very best. I expect no less from someone like Jamison.
Really? I don't know what your job is but let's say your boss wanted you to do something that is way below your capabilities? For example, you have an MBA or a MCSE, then your boss wants you to answer phones and fetch him coffee for the next year? All for the same money. You'll be earning the same amount. Would you feel happy for the company? Yes. Would you still feel good about yourself knowing you are so much more qualified to do what your doing? Sure, the company is doing great but pretty soon, people will think that you're only good enough to answer phones and get coffee. Pretty soon, you'll be labeled something you don't want and someone other hotshot will be making the big decisions and sitting in your office. Soon, people will be questioning why you're earning what you're earning and pretty soon, you'll get "traded" coz you're way to expensive to be getting coffee.

And yet Jamison isn't being asked to make coffee. He is beign asked to use his unique skill set to help his team. So your analogy breaks down there. What he is being asked to do is fill a less glamorous role, but still one important to his team's success. And that I have done and currently do. It will hardly affect his marketability, infact it will increase it by showing what a willingness he has to sacrifice personal glory to make his team succeed. He gets to focus his skills on being an explosive scorer. And if he pushes the Mavs to a championship and decides he's tired of the role as 6th man, there will be plenty of opportunities for him to go elsewhere.

But the scale of money these guys make dwarfs that of normal people. One year of Jamison's salary could support a family in comparative luxary to 99% of the people in this country. But most importantly if he wasn't willing to do what it took to make his team a success, then he shouldn't have signed the contract.
The coffee was a metaphor. It symbolized doing something way below the capabilities of Jamison. Anyway, let's agree to disagree on this one. I would welcome people standing up for themselves while you would rather have harmony. In my mind, a major reason Walker is starting instead of Jamison is that Walker would have probably raised a stink about coming off the bench. Jamison, as it played out, was the "good" guy and agreed to follow Nellie's wishes. Can you imagine Walker's displeasure at being traded from being a starter in Boston to someone off the bench?