View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Agree. I am pretty sure President Obama is something we will grow accustomed to saying...

As I have been saying since New Hampshire, McCain has absolutely no chance in the national contest.

Even if conservatives unite, Obama will win big. The only way McCain wins is if

1)he can unify the party
2)he can take a huge chunk away from Obama in the middle. I mean he has to convert Obama believers.

McCain is so old and boring and angry. How will he convert moderates and independents smitten with Obama?

He needs to grab Lieberman or someone else in the middle. He needs a partner and a campaign that competes with Obama's vision to ignore party extremes and politics as usual. McCain would do better with Ted Kennedy as his vice prez than Huckabee as his vice prez. That is probably too extreme. I'll retract Ted Kennedy. But, Lieberman is a good choice. Maybe he needs someone who is more energetic than Lieberman. Lieberman and McCain would be old and boring still. I'm not sure who McCain can grab to make a difference.

But, if McCain runs a traditional Republican campaign, he is going to get buried.

None of my writing is to be understood that I want McCain to win or intend to vote for him. Neither is true.

I'm just talking pragmatically about strategy.

The other way for McCain to win would be if he truly succeeded in unifying the party. But, McCain
1)hates evangelicals, calls them "agents of intolerance"
2)disagrees with conservatives on immigration although he has converted for expediency sake
3)disagrees about tax cuts although he has converted for expediency sake
4)lacks the moral backbone to fight effectively and believably for heterosexual marriage, traditional family values, abortion, etc.

It will take a miracle of planning and organization for McCain to have any chance.

And, of the two options for McCain, the only option that really fits him and is believable is for him to ask someone like Lieberman to be his vice prez and run hard to the middle and moderates and independents in a direct frontal attack to Obama's base.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote