View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #34
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations, AJ. Well deserved! Here's an article from a SA paper. The bolded part cracks me up...

Spurs-Kings notebook: Popovich lauds Mavs' Johnson
Web Posted: 04/26/2006 01:18 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Avery Johnson was named the NBA's Coach of the Year on Tuesday, and one of his former mentors couldn't be happier.

"I'm thrilled to observe Avery's success because he's been many things to me," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's been a great friend, a great player, and he's obviously established himself as somebody who can coach the game.

"To watch his progress over this short year and a half is just amazing."

Johnson was one of the first players Popovich signed after he took over as general manager in 1994. He played under Popovich from 1996-2001 and hit the shot to clinch the Spurs' first championship in 1999.

Popovich used to call Johnson his "coach on the floor" and never had any doubt he would make a successful transition to the bench. Johnson took over as Dallas' coach late last season after Don Nelson resigned.

"His love of the game over the years was exhibited by what he gained from each coach he played for and every player he played with or against," said Popovich, who finished sixth in the Coach of the Year balloting. "He has a natural affinity for the game. He understands how the game works, he understands what wins, he understands what's fluff and what should be ignored.

"He also has the persistence and the mental toughness to drag a team his way, to have them do what he thinks is best. He won't give up. If somebody else doesn't buy in, they'll have to figure out what to do."

Popovich and Johnson remain close and talk frequently. So how did Johnson thank his friend?

"Nellie was tremendous in helping lay the foundation for me. I learned a tremendous amount from him," Johnson said. "And the coach down south, who's one of the sorriest coaches in basketball, I worked with him, too."
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote