View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #67
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
Considering where Allen and Pierce would be declining from, that being an All-Star level, they should still be solid contributors at that age. Besides, Boston's big 3 aren't much older than the Mavs core, save Josh Howard. Do the Mavs only have 4-6 years left of competitive basketball with this group?
You are forgetting Devin, who is younger than Howard. However, I do not think the Mavs have a 4-6 year window by any means. I don't necessarily expect them to really be competing for a championship if they don't win it in the next three years.

I think you are seriously over-rating the age at which basketball players can be truly at the top of the game. Can you name the last player besides MJ to lead a team to a championship past age 32? Magic won his last Championship at 29. Bird won his at 30. Hakeem won one at 32. Kareem won several late, but he had Magic. Shaq was 30 when he won his last Finals MVP.

And don't forget how thin that Celtics team is going to be. With max salaries for Allen, KG, and Pierce they are only going to be carrying minimum-type guys on the bench. That means a lot of minutes throughout the season for aging guys.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote