View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #100
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Fair enough. If they can win it again soon, particularly if Marion stays around, then maybe it can be seen as a repeat. But...I think everyone--deep down, if they will admit it--pretty much feels that they "started over" after '11.

Hard not to find some "give up" in that.
The only thing I would have seen as a "give up" would be trading Dirk for a package that Houston or anyone outside of LA offered for Dwight Howard.

I don't really have to admit anything to anyone. I just have to go with what I know and what I believe. If Dirk was good enough to win with the cast he had in '11, then the job is to find pieces that are comparable or better to work for what he has left/gives up along the way or pieces that are dramatically better to make him a secondary piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_Jeff_| View Post
What's the window for winning another title with Dirk and how's the plan working out so far? The only thing we can say definitively is that its been a failure to this point. Unless the plan was barely making the playoff and getting swept by the Thunder in the first round in a "title defense", while striking out on all three of the targeted free agents for which the championship team was sacrificed.
The window for Dirk is two years...maybe more. Pretty hard to see how it's working right now since this group of players haven't seen a lick of action together. Last year saw a team that had some upside and potential and was building off of it. They were 9-10 games above. 500 nearing the midway point of the season and then the bottom just fell out.

The franchise could go dark once Dirk leaves or it might not. Based on the leadership and the culture they have created over time, I'm not willing to believe that they will allow it to go dark.