View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 AM   #76
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

It seems La'roi doesn't fit into the traditional 3-4 position of nosetackle, and it's also assumed that he's not fast enough to play DE. But I think Glover can make the switch work, in either position, so long as he's willing to accept the challenge. He's a professional, and an All-Pro, so he probably realizes the defense needs to be retooled.

When you watch today's NFL defenses, especially the well well coached units; Pittsburgh, Philly, New England, etc., you watch as blitzing LB's, moving DL's, and shifting DB's all rush around in coordinated pre-snap movements. All this movement detracts from the traditional positional assignments (read: Zone Blitz). If you get a group to buy into the system it can work like a machine - balancing out the physical limitations of the players involved.

I believe in Zimmer's ability to outscheme most other offensive coordinators. But we still need the personel (read: Derrick Johnson).

DJ will be a top tier pass rusher within the next 2-3 seasons - I pray it happens in Dallas. He is a hybrid, and although he'll be listed as a LB he could spend most of his time crowding the line of scrimmage. Should this be the case - when Glover lines up at "DE" he'd still be fighting through a Guard & Tackle doubleteam. Now how is that any different from now?

Our DB's are young and vulnerable - any front "4" pass rush will immediately take some pressure of them. More importantly this will allow Roy Williams to crowd the box and fly to the football - i.e. play to his strengths. A shift to the 3-4 could help the cornerbacks immensely - yet the secondary remains a question mark with a hole at safety.

3-4 or 4-3?
Regardless, the defense needs to be addressed with BOTH first rounders. Once we know who will be suiting up the decision will be clear.