View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #491
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
that is the question i have: why is it allowed that one team can decide the pitching order AFTER another team has announced the pitching order? wouldn't that give a significant strategic advantage to the team deciding later?

for example: team A has 4 pitchers a1 - a4, assuming their pitching skills as a1>a2>a3>a4; similarly, team B has 4 pitchers b1>b2>b3>b4.

let's also assume team A's pitchers are uniformly better than team B's, i.e., a1>b1>a2>b2>a3>b3>a4>b4.

let's further assume in every game, the team with better pitcher wins.

then, if both teams decide pitching orders without knowledge of each other, they will come up with a1 vs b1, a2 vs b2, etc. and it'll be a sweep for team A.

however, if team A has announced its pitiching order as a1 - a4, team B can then make its pitching order as b4, b1, b2, b3. and team B will win 3 -1, although they have inferior pitchers.
Hahaha... Would be funny if it were that easy, but yeah, you forgot about our:

C1
1B1
2B1
3B1
SS1
LF1
CF1
RF1

vs their equivalent playing a role in this every game by just making the assumption that the better pitcher wins out. Felix is better than anything we typically throw out there but our offense typically gets us the win. I hope to see a lot of those wins this series. We may very well be outclassed in most mound matchups (though I am pretty comfortable with Holland and Harrison) but our offense is truly leaps and bounds better.

May the best team win.