View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 AM   #106
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFutofMavs
Josh Howard last night:

REB: 11
ST: 2
BLKS: 1
TO: 0

I would call that defense...as far as proving feces, I'm not too sure about that one...To say Howard does nothing for our defense is pure ignorance.
Rebounds? Not a defensive stat by any stretch of the imagination. Antoine Walker is a good rebounder, you think he's a good defender? Steals? A defensive stat, yes, but that also has nothing to do with being a good defender. Steals are just about playing the passing lanes, nothing to do whatsoever with man-to-man defense. LeBron gets a lot of steals, despite the fact that he's not a great defensive player. Blocks? Again, a defensive stat, but getting a lot of blocks (much less one block) does not make you a good defensive player. There are quite a few players in this league who are excellent shot blockers, but not great defensive players, and vice-versa.

And I never said he doesn't do anything for our defense. I said he hasn't proven sh*t. And he hasn't. I love Josh. He's my second favorite Mav, and I think he's our second best player. But at least on this board and in the local media, he's terribly overrated when it comes to defense. Really, I might even say Dirk is as good as Howard is defensively. Which is to say, slightly above average, but nothing to rave about. You could replace him with any number of players at the 3 and not lose anything or even gain something on the defensive end.

That being said, I love Josh Howard and hope to see him in a Maverick uniform until he retires.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-30-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote