View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #1835
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
There's about a 1000% chance he's blowing smoke. Every coach and every owner says they have a good team. What the hell is he supposed to say? "The team sucks, we need to make a trade otherwise the season is over?"
Maybe, "We like our team, but we will be looking to improve our roster at the trade deadline"?

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure which rumors you're referring to. So I don't know if I believe them or not. Which "very good" players are supposedly available? So far the potential trades that I've seen floated around in the media are very, very "meh." Unfortunately I don't think anyone so desperate at the moment to shed salary that they'll trade impact players in exchange for an expiring contract. Especially before the offseason. I hope I'm wrong. Keep in mind that since pretty much everyone re-signed with their teams before the season even started, this is now one of the weakest free agent classes in recent memory. So I doubt anyone is particularly motivated to clear salary for a free agent signing- unless someone really wants Andre Drummond or something.
Gordon
Horford
Collins
Aldridge
Rubio
Oladipo
Tucker
Fournier
Markkanen
Lowry
Drummond
Reddick

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead an predict that there will be no significant trades before the deadline and we will have to wait for the offseason for any meaningful movement. Not because the MBT loves the team so much, but because there simply isn't a deal to be made. I want to upgrade the team as much as anyone, but I don't want to force a trade just for the sake of it.

This applies not just to Dallas, but to anyone. Meaningful midseason trades are actually quite rare. There's maybe 1 or 2 per year across the league. The other 28 or so teams usually wait until the offseason.
We know that Aldridge and Tucker will be on new teams before the season is over. It may be through a buy out rather than a trade and if that is the case, I seriously doubt they would choose Dallas. Same goes for Drummond. That trio will likely sign with a contender, making the chosen team even stronger. The Mavs' trade assets will be fewer in the offseason, so I think the time to be on the phone wheeling and dealing is now. It may be that I am overestimating the value of the expiring contracts of JJ and THJ, as well as the reasonable contracts of WCS, Burke, and Iwundu (maybe even Powell, if the incoming salary was for multiple years), but given the realities you point out it may be the Mavs are stuck for the next couple of years and the most we can hope for is that KP stays healthy and reaches his potential as a legitimate #2. If so, then prayers are more important than looking for a trade partner.