View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #60
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
Alexamenos....... that's pretty much the idea I got from the commentary track as well.
I'll have to check out the commentary track one day....

I really think the movie is a satire that plays on two levels. On the surface, it's poking a little fun at consumer-society, with a bunch of philosophical mumbo-jumbo thrown in for good measure. On another level, it's making fun of people who make fun of consumer society yet who have nothing better to offer, and I think this is the central point of the movie...

Tyler Durden, for instance....here's a guy that says of a Calvin Klein ad "is that what a man's supposed to look like" and also "self-improvement is masturbation." That'd be Tyler Durden as played by perfect face, perfect body, perfect teeth, Calvin Klein model proto-type Brad Pitt saying these things....

...somehow I suspect that we're not supposed to take Durden too seriously, but instead with a grain of salt.

Cheers