View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #70
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some of my favorites:

1.) Open Range - I'm probably in a pretty small group that considers Kevin Costner to be one of the 10 best actors of all time, but I think this movie is a pretty good piece of evidence I could use to validate my opinion. Probably my pick for the best Western of all-time, and yes, I have seen just about all of them.

2.) High Fidelity - This movie reminds me a lot of my days in middle school when I was starting to appreciate the music I currently have a passion for. Two of my favorites, Dylan and Costello, made the soundtrack, and my all-time favorite, Bruce Springsteen, has a badass cameo about halfway through the movie. I love John Cusack in just about everything (and also feel he's a top 10 talent) and this is without a doubt my favorite movie of his.

3.) Space Jam - There's no awesome reason. It's widely regarded as a mediocre movie, but Michael Jordan was my favorite player when I started getting into basketball, and this movie never gets old for me.

4.) The Rundown - This is definitely the most entertaining action movie ever made, in my book. It's a great throwback to the early Schwarzenegger movies, and The Rock is a very capable actor in action movies. This is probably my favorite "kill 2 hours on a summer afternoon" movie.

5.) Mars Attacks! - This is, in some odd ways, one of Jack Nicholson's best roles. Who in the world would make a better (onscreen) President than Jack? (Well, certainly not GW, but that's a conversation for a different time) And come on, how funny is it not only to see nearly a dozen A-list (at the time, anyway) actors not only mindlessly die, but to die because all of their flesh is disintegrated? Awesome stuff.

6.) Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - Say what you want to/have to about Lucas being a poor director, or some performances being a little wooden, but the fight scenes in this movie are incredible. And Samuel L. really phones in his performance as Windu, but it's badass when he says "You are under arrest, my lord." I can't get enough of that part.

7.) Masked & Anonymous - This is a 2003 indie flick starring (about?) Bob Dylan, with probably the most ridiculously loaded cast ever (up there with, coincidently, Mars Attacks!) and a lot of thought-provoking stuff. I don't have the attention span to watch this more than once or twice a year, but when I sit down and am able to focus on it, it's really an experience.

Other honorable mentions: Terminator 3, The Ice Harvest (I feel it was the best movie of 2005), Sleepy Hollow.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote