View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #39
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< What do I expect of this team. Regular season I expect a division title and at least the #2 seeding in the western conference finals. I expect us to be highly competitive in the 2nd round. But I can accept losing to a team with superior talent, but not if we aren't competitive which we haven't been so far. By competitive I mean we should at least win more home games than we lose which hasn't happend yet in the 2nd round. All of this is barring major injuries. With mojor injuries we will need to reevalute with the talent we have. After all the 94 Bulls couldn't win a 3th championship in a row without Michael Jordan. >>

If the Mavs win more home games than they lose in the second round this year, it seems that they would necessarily win that series, because they’re going to have homecourt advantage in the second round, barring a major collapse. Also, what teams do you consider to have superior talent? In my mind, only the Kings are more talented than the Mavericks, and that’s not a huge gap, even with Sacramento’s bench superiority. But they’re not going to meet Sacramento in the second round, since both are well on track to win their divisions. If they lose a competitive series to San Antonio in the second round, I’m not gonna be happy, because I don’t think they have more talent.

And yeah, if injuries enter the picture, we obviously can’t hold Nellie to the same standards...

<< I understand your concern and others that we need to get to the WCF this year or make a change. I'm just prepared to be a little more patient. Things might take a little bit more time to develop than we would like. Dirk is still very young to lead this team as the superstar. I think he needs at least 1 more year and that will still be incredibly early. And yes Nellie has said that he can't afford to wait a year on Raef, but didn't he say something similar about Shawn last year? Anyways its not Nellies choice how long it takes but Raefs. Nellie might not have a choice if it takes a year. Nellie may need another year to get this team ready to play championship basketball. He's done a wonderful job of improving the defense this year. I'm sure rebounding will be improved once we get some of our injured back. That's a lot of improvement from last year. We still have othe issues to address. But as with all things these take time. That's why I disagree slightly with you and what constitues success this year. >>

That’s fair enough, because at least we’ve defined our disagreement. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I’ll be patient with Nellie if he’ll simply ditch Underdog Ball and play opponents straight up.

<< Let's just hope the Mavs with it all this year and then all our arguments will be moot point. >>

Wouldn’t that be beautiful...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]