View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #133
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have much in terms of a takeaway message from Game 4. It is not unusual for there to be an ebb and flow in a playoff series that makes the next game difficult to predict with any degree of certainty. Add to that the fact the Mavs have been inconsistent on both ends of the court from game to game all season + Luka's injury in game 4, and it becomes clear to me that anything can happen over the next two or three games. It would not be surprising to see the Mavs lose the next two games. I would also argue it would not be surprising to see the Mavs win the series in 6 or 7. Moreover, this year's playoffs feel different than in the past, so looking at historic trends might also be inadequate in predicting what will happen next. For example, I anticipate the pundits boldly stating the winner of Game 5 will win the series. I disagree. Neither team needs to win the next game or all is lost. Anything can happen.

I say all this because, in my opinion, it will not be an epic collapse if the Mavs lose this series. I also do not think it is a reflection on RC or the MBT for that matter if that is the outcome. The COVID season and the number of playoff injuries we are seeing makes it an "all bets off" road to the championship. That being said, I stick with my prediction and say the Mavs win in 7.

The KP story is another matter. If he doesn't show some spark of greatness, then I believe that part of the equation is solved. I do not have a plan for how the Mavs would move forward (Trade KP for peanuts (or less); do not re-sign THJ in order to make some cap room: trade JRich), but they should recalibrate their thinking that KP is a #2 or even #3 option on this team.