View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
How do you make those glitchy spinning IDM drum sequences (in 3 and 4 alot) from a sampled drum? Do you map it out in some software or are you adjusting them on the fly somehow?
Well, not all my "drums" are sampled from drum-kits, per se - I'll record pretty much anything that I can bang together, then sequence it into Reason or Logic and process the sound through a bunch of effects... Also, I tend to chop single hits into quarters, 8ths or 16ths to get that speedy "drill" feel - there's often a "metallic" effect when you cut percussive sounds into tiny pieces... After that, I pitch-shift, pan and adjust the timbre to "naturalize" the beat so it sounds like a hyperactive robot is playing a futuristic drum kit...

Also, props for knowing what IDM is - I didn't think anyone on this site would be familiar with the genre (Americans are pretty ignorant of this type of music on the whole - that's why I've made most my money and played my biggest shows in Europe...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote