View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #57
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm not sure why you have this notion that Dirk and bosh work their games differently. They have a ton of overlap in their offensive games, and work from the same areas of the floor a lot.

Beyond that, they are not the kind of players that will create a lot of offense working off of each other. They can't pick and roll, and they're not going to be dive cutting while the other is at the high post.

Trying to figure out how to get Bosh and Dirk to coexist would certainly fall under the category of "good problem", but their offenses are really not compatible.

As to the position question, as I've said many times on this board, in the NBA you are what you can defend. Dirk is not a SF because he can not guard the majority of small forwards in the NBA. Obviously Marion provides enough flexibility that you could find certain matchups to make it work, but a Haywood/Bosh/Dirk front line could not be counted on to log big minutes or close games consistently.

The biggest plus for getting Bosh has nothing to do with playing with Dirk, it's the fact that you would have a franchise player after Dirk slips. Bosh and Dirk together in their primes is far from ideal.
Now this is some of the constructive debate I like.

From what I have seen though, you are only partially correct. Bosh's game is 18' in. He does lots from the FT line and elbow and is mainly but not exclusively a face up player. He also has some inside game, but gets in trouble there because he is not that bulky - much like Dirk.

Dirk has range out to 30' consistently. While he is not really a cutter, he can create at any time. Putting two 7' who both have range, but both can slash is a good thing.

While you don't think they could work off each other, I think they could offensively - but they would need cutters.

Now - as far as Dirk being a SF -- no he is not, and no he can't defend any of the elite SF's. He can defend the weaker ones though, and he can defend some of them. While you are correct that it wouldn't be a mainstay -- he could play there against some match-ups, and they could go Zone easy enough out of it - with Dirk, Bosh, and Haywood all on rotations to the middle.

Of course, Dirk couldn't defend the SF, but if they defended Dirk with a SF -- what keeps Dirk from posting up, or Bosh, or even Haywood? Size does make a difference.

Now offense isn't compatible -- means you couldn't set up the offense on both sides at the elbow -- ? ? I mean the reason for twin towers, and high low games, and availability of pick n roll either side -- with spot up Dirk is not even intriguing to you? You consider it to be incompatible.

Roddy, Butler, Marion, Dirk, Bosh -- should be nasty good on offense and very good on defense. Maybe you close games with this lineup.

Kidd, Stevenson, Marion, Bosh, Haywood -- with Dirk and Caron resting.

You know you can go Kidd, Caron, Marion, Dirk, Haywood - for large stretches if needed.

Kidd, Terry, Butler, Bosh, and Dirk could kill the zone.

While it wouldn't be traditional -- I can see where it would be very flexible if designed and run properly.

<edit>
Think Parish, McHale, Bird

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 05-14-2010 at 01:18 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote