View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
The Rangers are coming off of their best season in the history of the franchise. But, there are a number of key questions:

1. How much and for how long are you willing to go on Lee?
A - Obviously not at the ARod level (i.e. don't make a HICKS mistake here), but you pay him how much he wants and for how long he wants. I think 5/120 definitely gets it done and, if it does, you pay it. If it requires 130, pay it. Keep this man here almost at any cost possible.

2. Do you sign Vlad? If not, then who DH's?
A - I have a couple of thoughts about Vlad. I have thought about this for a while now and I think you could definitely bring him back on the cheap in the exact same role as he had this year (though in the 5th or 6th spot in the lineup). I will explain why later.

3. Do you try and ink any of the following to long term deals: Hamilton, Cruz, Colby Lewis, CJ Wilson.
A - Yes to ALL in my opinion. You could potentially look at trading Cruz just due to his value being as high as it will ever be and his injury concerns but it better lead to another stud pitcher coming here (i.e. Grienke [even in a down year he is still quite talented] in a Cruz/prospects trade) and it better have us signing someone like Crawford. I do not want to see Cruz gone just to promote Frenchy who has gone on record to say he requires starting time from his next team. Cruz is an absolute stud when healthy so he better be here unless we get a ton for him AND fill his spot well.

4. Do you give Feliz a shot in the rotation or do you leave him as closer?
A - Most here know my answer on this. You absolutely should give him a shot to start. CJ was VERY good the year before he got the chance and it made us a much better team with him in the rotation. The same could happen with Feliz. If it blows up, he can always be moved back, but damn it, see what you have with him. Look at it this way, Feliz was one of our best arms and how much did he contribute in the Playoffs? How much would he have contributed as the 4th starter? After all, we have Ogando and, if he accepts arbitration, Frankie that both could contend for the closing role (along with Scheppers).

5. What's your rotation next year?
A - My preference? Lee/CJ/Lewis/Feliz/Holland with Hunter and Scheppers getting the first cracks after an injury or poor performance (assuming Scheppers isn't filling a hole in the bullpen left by Feliz moving to the rotation).

6. Do you expect anything out of Eric Hurley?
A - Not this year in terms of MLB production, but I think this could be the year he remains healthy and gets his career back on track for a MLB visit in 2012.

7. Is it time to move Young to DH? If so, who plays 3rd?
A - Here is where I explain why I think keeping Vlad at DH could be possible. It is for a possible move of Young to 1B. I know, calm down, I know his defense would not be the best over there, but I think if you look at Young's minimal decrease in defensive ability vs Moreland's and then look at Beltre's enormouse increase in defensive ability vs Young's I think overall you have turned your infield into a vacuum vs last year. Imagine Kinsler at 2B, Andrus at SS, and Beltre at 3B all sucking up balls and tossing them to a great catching 1B in Young. Young's problem is range and he wouldn't be nearly as exposed at 1B as he would in any other position. He would only have trouble against balls hit on a line ala the ARod shot that got past him that never should, and those are much more common to go 3B's way vs 1B, just due to there being way more RH hitters. This is a way to get Vlad's bat in the lineup, keep Young's bat in the lineup, and add Beltre's bat in the lineup while still improving defense. Most of you might quickly say NEVER, NO NO NO NEVER to the idea of putting Young at 1B but I think it could work and it would improve the statistics from the 1B position as well. Offense improves, defense improves, and away we go... Moreland would backup the 1B position and get a decent amount of playing time due to Young also backing up 2B, SS, and 3B when those guys need a day off. When Young needs a day off, 2B, SS, and 3B all start and Moreland comes in. Really think about it before you bash it. It would work. Would I rather bring in Dunn for 1B (not a good defender either btw), lose Vlad, move Young to DH, bring in Beltre for 3B, AND keep Lee (why not Crawford too while we are at it)? Sure, but we aren't the Yankees. Think of the possible lineup though:

SS - Andrus
2B - Kinsler
3B - Beltre
CF - Hamilton
RF - Cruz
DH - Vlad
1B - Young
LF - Murphy
C - Molina/Treanor

This lineup would only come at the cost of keeping our own internal guys and adding Beltre. An injury to an IF puts Young at that spot and Moreland at 1B. An injury to an OF puts Borbon at that spot. Good depth and good backups.

8. Murphy or Borbon?
A - Both should make the team, but Borbon should never get the opportunity to start again barring an injury. I would think Murphy gets all starts in LF with Hamilton back in CF and Cruz in RF. Typically though you just use Borbon late in a game for a bunt or for baserunning.
Answers above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-05-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote