View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #56
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The simple answer to your question is that the straight-up run play was not likely to gain more than a handful of yards in that situation, while the naked misdirection might have gained significantly more (in terms of field position vis a vis the FG attempt). It was a risk-reward thing. It looks dumb in retrospect, but it would look pretty smart if it went for 15.

Man, tough to support that line of thinking given the situation. It really is. Nothing against you, but if that is the primary reason - just very stupid. In that situation it is much like the lost FG opportunity due to a risky run by Romo. In that situation, you MUST at least have 3. The more risk you take on the play chosen the more likely you are to fumble or lose significant yardage. Just not smart.

And Miles should know the play. It's been in the offense for years.

Knowing the play because it is technically in the offense does not mean he is comfortable doing it due to very rarely doing it in the past. Just not a smart choice. Garrett said it himself. No real way to defend this (again, nothing against you here).

And on a minor point, I'm pretty sure that a right-footed kicker would prefer the ball on the left hash on a long attempt. They tend to hook the ball when they power through it. From the left hash you can start it at the right post and bring it back in.

I certainly have not noticed that being the norm - long or short. Maybe I have just overlooked that in the past (and I will start looking for it now). I need to go back and look at the replay of Sebastian's 63 yarder for reference. Either way, fair enough.
Comments above...