View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #79
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm just saying to be sure you take in the whole body of work when you form judgments, and not fall prety to the kind of bias where you focus on the bad while ignoring the good. Romo has had some gaffes, that's surely true. But he's done a lot of very good things, too. In my mind, he is very much a net positive, and also a guy who I think has all of the ability to get it done on the biggest stage, if he has adequate talent around him. I think the NFL is very much a team game, much more so than the NBA. I don't think there is any QB out there who is getting it done by himself. Hell, Manning is first ballot HOF, right? What he has accomplished? One title...and a whole lot of flameouts. Just sayin'!
Trust me man - I fully acknowledge his accomplishments and know we are lucky to have him overall if our goal is to not be that 6-10 group led by INSERT SHITTY QB. He is certainly a top-10 QB in this league and on a given weekend can be the best overall. I do take that into consideration. You may not think I do because of the rant or whatever, but I love this cat man. I really do. It is a love/hate for sure, but I bleed Cowboy colors so when we play I am right there rooting for this team and our QB.

The issue is the fact that I simply do not share the opinion that he has the intestinal fortitude and mental competence to be consistent over the course of a playoff run to win a Super Bowl. A lot of it has to do with this team overall as well. We as a team make far too many mistakes that our leader can't....but he does. So when our team has Cs snapping balls over the head of our QB and has WRs having no clue how to run a standard route leading to turnovers and one of our TEs is, well, FING STUPID and our Offensive Coordinator is a GDAMN IDIOT 50-60% of the time in goal line situations - well, the QB can't also make mistakes. He didn't last week, so we won. But you look at week 1 and he did, so we lost. We win and lose based on Romo's stupidity adding to the team's stupidity and pushing our overall stupid level too far to secure a win or keeping it just shy of a loss.

That is why I think he can't lead us to the promised land primarily. With our team (a team full of STUPID that has SO much physical talent - something I have been saying for years now), the QB has to practically be dumb-free. He can make mistakes, sure, but he can't have the dumb moments that Romo all too often has. You can throw an interception because the defense simply makes a play or because there is a tip at the LOS or whatever. That happens by EVERYONE. But you can't throw the ball right to the defense with 50 seconds left in the game. You can't fumble on a decision that is ignorant at best with a chance to put a nail in the coffin. You can't be stupid.

I get you really like Romo. I get that you are seeing me as someone that probably made a snap decision on the guy given one really painful moment. But all I ask is that you respect my sincere love for this team and the fact that I haven't missed a minute of action for over a decade. My decision wasn't made with a snap judgement - it was made with eyes that have seen the stupidity for years and years and years now (along with his great plays far more often by the way). But with a team constructed with this much stupid, he would have to be perfect and get on a Dirk-like run at the right time with the team also playing with Chandler-like poise/intensity and I just don't see him or the team capable of that. I sincerely do not thing this team wins a Super Bowl with Romo. I wish I didn't feel that way, but I do. Sorry if that offends you or creates controversy with those that love to find a chance to ding me, but it is simply my opinion (despite people that want to say that it doesn't even qualify as that - wtf by the way). We can agree to disagree on this one.

As far as your Manning comment, he does not typically fail due to stupidity. He makes mistakes at times, sure, but far, far more often than not he fails due to his team failing, which is what I wish I could say happens when Dallas typically fails on the biggest stage. We both know some of the key playoff losses are not at that level. Sure, we have had team losses as well (Minnesota, Philly - which wasn't a playoff game but would have led to the playoffs had we won, etc) but other games have truly been lost due to last second Interceptions, unclutch moments, etc (Seattle, NY, countless RS games - remember, we don't exactly have a lot of playoff games to go off of here).

You put Manning on this team and, well, if nothing else - I don't have a belief that the team can't get it done. Manning may only have 1 ring, but the guy will likely retire as the greatest QB of all time when he finally does hang them up. This is a guy that is filled with INTELLIGENCE and not a lick of dumb. If only Romo could play that smart - hell, he would be the best QB in football.