View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It's hard to really say what you would "prefer" because baseball doesn't have a salary cap, and if Bob Simpson et. all want to foot the bill, I'll absolutely take Fielder, Darvish, CJ and whatever else they want to do.

Within the realm of possibility, I prefer CJ over Darvish (for now, depends on the finances of both), I prefer to not sink money into Fielder while the roles of Young and Napoli are somewhat undefined, and I prefer to try like hell to make Feliz and Ogando to work in the rotation.
Wow - even after the last two postseasons? Not me. I mean, sure, we don't get to either post season without him (or do we, we thought we might not without Lee and our youth has really stepped up) but for the money he will command I would rather put that and some toward a young pitcher showing true, legitimate, Ace numbers, albeit against inferior competition (Colby moved nicely with numbers increasing, sure, but Yu's numbers are WAY better than Colby's were). Understand it and definitely the safer (and cheaper) decision, but give me Darvish. If we end up signing CJ back, I won't cry about it as I thought I would after the Series ended, but it better not be for crazy money.

Yeah, I thought about the Young/Napoli thing, but I say Napoli plays a lot at C next year with Young splitting time between DH and, yes - another position - OF, along with his backup time for guys that take full or half days off. When Young isn't at DH, Napoli is. Fielder would improve the team dramatically by adding his bat in this lineup. Dramatically. Imagine that man hitting in our ballpark.

If Feliz AND Ogando are to be in the rotation, well... I guess that means you aren't signing Darvish or CJ (or are you knocking one of Lewis/Holland/Harrison out of the rotation), right? If not, and you don't want Fielder, are we just looking for bullpen arms to shore up all of the departures?