View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
There's just been way too many busts coming from Japan to make me comfortable with counting on Darvish. Dice K was awesome over there. Koji was a very good starting pitcher, and the Orioles brought him over to start. There are obviously others. Yes Darvish is the best yet, but he's not much younger than Dice K when he came over. There's just so many differences, from how the game is played to how the pitchers prepare and how much rest they're given. I'd like to try, but I'm not willing to rely on him to front the rotation, which is what we need.

Darvish is the Ichiro of pitchers. Period. There is Iguchi, Johjima, Fukudome, Shinjo, etc here in the states that came from overseas, but only one Ichiro. Darvish is in that same company. You just can't compare him to Dice K or friggin Koji. This is an absolute ace over there and he will be an absolute ace over here, so yes, you can rely on him to front the rotation, just as last year we relied on a relief pitcher turned starting pitcher with 1 year of experience coming off of a poor post season - oh, and we won the most regular season and post season games in Franchise history.

Regarding Adams, I just think he's really good. He's been one of the best relievers in baseball over the past few years. I also think that Ogando is in a unique position having been stretched out. It'd be interesting to see if he could be a multiple inning guy throughout the season like he was in the playoffs.

Yes, Adams is really good and yes he has been one of the best relievers in baseball over the past few years....while pitching in arguably (no, not arguably, it is definitely as much) the best pitchers park in baseball. That doesn't mean he isn't really good. He is damn good. But my argument is that, given the needs of a closer, maybe Ogando is better.

With the first base situation, it's simply the fact that you still don't know for sure about Moreland due to the injury, and you have right handed bats that you need at bats for anyway. If Moreland fails again (and I wouldn't be shocked if he did) you adjust accordingly during the season.

Yeah, but obviously there are way, way more at bats for LH hitters as there are way, way more RH pitchers in baseball. So that means Moreland will get 500 ABs or so and be below average for that time. Best case next year - 0 WAR, 0 dWAR. I feel like Tony MFing Tiger over here while sarcastically yelling GRREEEAAATTT!!! Give me Fielder and you don't have this worry.
Above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-03-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote