View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
That are the general thoughts on Nathan...the 37yr old closer who is recovering from Tommy Johns??
Mixed emotions by most people. I am very hopeful that we get the pitcher that showed up the last part of 2011 (the guy with much improved velocity over the earlier version and with multiple out pitches). He said himself that TJS made him become a better pitcher and now that his velocity is returning (and hopefully even more so this year) I think he could end up as good as he was prior to the injury. He could also regress greatly and there is certainly risk. The good news is that we have the talent in our bullpen (and frankly, our starting pitching) to recover from any setback he has.

The key move is Feliz starting. I can't tell you how excited I am about it. I have been begging for this for multiple years now as most of you all know. If he can take his talent and mold it properly and truly learn to pitch (no easy task I will grant you) this guy can actually become the best pitcher in baseball - that is his ceiling. Not a #1. THE #1. He MUST learn to pitch and not just throw but, if he does, Jesus Christ - watch out. He and Holland could both end up being something very, very special and hopefully that is what comes to fruition.

You look at the POTENTIAL of our rotation. Ogando is still learning to pitch and might develop another 1-2 pitches to become something truly special. Harrison is still a mental midget that, if he EVER gets past that and uses his impressive stuff without letting his head get in the way (for a year, not a 4-game stretch) he could be quite special too (of course to be fair, the same could be said about Holland - I just think he has better stuff). Colby is Colby - and that is welcome on this pitching staff of course. He is money in the playoffs and you definitely need a guy like that.

I still hold out hope for Darvish, because I think he is absolutely special (Harrison would go to the bullpen or be traded in that scenario, preferably the former) and would obviously welcome Fielder with open arms, but I trust Ninja completely. He is sly with moves that are nothing if not devilishly sinister and full of win. I haven't agreed with everything he has done, but more often than not I find that I am wrong and he is, well, Ninja.

To summarize, hopeful on the Nathan front and absolutely THRILLED on the Feliz front.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-23-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote