View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #213
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13 View Post
I completely agree, in my mind Thig is right on about this topic. I think many people severely underestimate the power of addiction and some don't realize how bad it was for Josh. Lives are ruined by it constantly. Many people fail over and over again to beat it, and a large portion of them just give up. At his worst he had lost 40 pounds, blown all of his money, and took lethal doses (for nearly anyone else) of cocaine multiple times. He made a choice to put himself in the position he did (being at dinner alone, choosing to have the first drink) but after that I feel like it quickly becomes out of the recovering addict's control. He has said that him and alcohol "don't mix," meaning one drink is enough to get him to fall, as was the case here. Addiction is extremely power, and it will be a struggle for the rest of Josh's life. We all have our struggles and shortcomings, and this is his biggest one.

Overall, I don't think this relapse will have any huge consequences long term, as I still feel he is strongly committed to staying sober and it's a one time thing (he hasn't had any sort of relapse for 3 years, which is pretty impressive for a recovering addict of his extent.) He'll pick himself up with his faith in God and get back on the right track. It doesn't negate how incredible his turnaround has been, and it's not the end of the world. The biggest consequence is the he cost himself a lot of $$$, and he'll need to work to re-establish trust with the Rangers organization. Right now he needs prayers, love, and support, not public backlash.
I don't disagree that it isn't easy. My point was that it's a choice. Yes, being an addict makes it more difficult.. but yeah, it's still a choice. Most of us have addictions that we struggle with. Again, it's still a choice. I fail to make the right choice with my addiction daily. I'm just glad I don't have to give a press conference every time a fail.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote