View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #31
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I mean, they've looked to Green, Hardy, and Frank for this, and so far it looks promising with Green and Hardy.

I kinda get the Dragic offer now. I'm sure they still want a vet in an emergency but are committed to developing the young guys. And honestly, we need one of those young guys to hit more than having a vet sit around not playing. That all changes with an injury, of course.
I believe it comes down to two or three decision-making calculations:

1). Do you maximize the probability of making another deep playoff run this season or develop the young guys for the long-term (possibly concluding there is little chance of a championship this season anyway).

2). Can Green/Hardy/Frank steady the ship in the case Luka or SD go down with an injury? Can they contribute if asked to play significant minutes when Luka or SD need a game or two rest?

3). Will the current roster necessitate a large number of minutes logged for Luka and SD during the regular season and will that impact their effectiveness in the playoffs?

It seems to make sense to me that you would want to have a vet pg on the bench in the case of an emergency or the calculations above tip in favor of the lack of a second ball handler leading to one of these suggested negative scenarios (for example, Green/Hardy/Frank are not up to the challenge). But I tend to be risk averse and lean on the side of every season being viewed through the lens of maximizing championship opportunities for Luka. I also think there is value to adding this hypothetical player before the season starts, so they have the opportunity to develop chemistry with rotation players.

Last edited by purplefrog; 10-07-2022 at 03:42 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote