View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 06:24 PM   #2222
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
The problem
I think other than coaching our biggest problem is guard defense.

Right now? Our starting back-court is:

SF: THJ: 6'6"
SG: Spence 6'6"
PG: Luka 6'7"

You have to love Luka's height, but is it any wonder that we are getting toasted by guys 6'4" and shorter like Killian Hayes? We just matchup horribly.

Guards 6'0"-6'5" who have torched us
Killian Hayes 22pts (averages 8)
Grayson Allen 25pts (averages 11)
Bones Hyland 29pts/17pts (averages 15)
John Wall 17pts (averages 13)
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 18pts (averages 11)

so what?
The bad news is that we are a trainwreck defensively for smaller, quicker guards and those defensive problems are leading to bigs getting out of position, which is leading to layups and open threes as our defense struggles to adjust. A defense is like a house and we're trying to adapt without one entire wall.

The good news is that with 6'7" Luka playing point, we can get a really quality small SG (tweener) who would normally be called too small to play SG and not skilled enough to play PG and they'd be successful next to Luka. In fact, that is exactly what we need. We were lucky with Brunson because he could play both, but you can't swing a stick without hitting a combo-guard who is too small to be SG, and not mature enough to play quarterback.

Which, by the way, is why Hardy should play some damn @#$%ing minutes. 6'3" scorer who doesn't have the highest BBIQ and isn't a natural running point? That was a negative on Hardy in the draft, but for us? That's perfect! We literally need someone 6'0"-6'4" who can defend jitterbugs at an even passable level and who can score off the pass and occasionally slash.

If he doesn't play, hopefully Walker will turn out and maybe we can trade a pick for DSJ, or a handful of other small PG/SG tweeners. Until that happens, we are going to get wrecked by PGs and that is going to leave our defense 1-5 scrambling and frustrated. It isn't going to change without a roster/lineup change, but there is some hope.
Fair points. We also need Luka to just be better on ball. Matching up on D works until the first pick is set on Luka. Then it's time to hold on to your seat.

I'm all for giving Hardy mins, and starting Green. I'm so sick of THJ, and Bullock. Dfs doesn't deserve the hate but in the friendliest way, I'm tired of him too.

I wasn't butt hurt abiut not even taking a swing at DSJ but man, we could use him and he wanted to be back here. Womp

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote