View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Guys I knew I was going to get some slack for making such a comment on this board. So why did I make it? Because I love cycling. Used to do it myself as an ambitious hobby athlete. Attended a lot of cycling events like World Cup races and noumerous stages of TDF. But ever since 98 cycling is a pitty. It probably was before, but no one knew.

Armstrong has been accused of doping because he worked with Dr. Ferrari in Italy for a long time. And that´s a fact. Ferrari was also the Doc of nearly every top tier driver who has been tested positive in the last years. Such as Pantani, Frigo, Virenque, Moreau, Meier etc. After testing positive what have those drivers done? Nothing, compared to what they did before. They are a shadow of their former self. This leads to the belief that every TDF driver does drugs. Once they stop using them they fall way behind. It happened alot of times in the last years, so it can´t be overlooked.

Then there are certain drivers who are no longer active who say that EVERYONE is using drugs. Some say they didn´t want to but had no chance because of it, so they quit cycling.

<< The reason why Europeans think cycling is in such a said state is because a clean American is whipping some ass >>

Actually no Murph. The real cycling fans over here believe that EVERYONE is on drugs. Not just Armstrong, but also Beloki, Ullrich etc. So it´s not even a knock on Armstrong but on cycling in general. It is really unfair to the few drivers that may be clean. Compare it to baseball if you like. In baseball there are no tests at all. In cycling the drugs that are in use at the moment can´t be found through testing (mostly new blood doping stuff, no one is using EPO any more since 98. The few that still use it usually get caught cause, cause it can be found). So the situation is pretty much the same.

Anyways, I totally understand your reaction. I would have probably reacted the same way if I was from Texas. I just stated my opinion, and believe me it´s shared by a lot of people in Europe. We all hope that there will be a solution to this mess soon.

Oh and comparing Golf or Basketball to cycling doesn´t work very well. The sports have nothing in common.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote