View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 09:06 PM   #87
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< I think Lance and many pro athletes use illegal performance-enhancing substances (to take themselves to the next level or to just keep up with the competition) but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. Nothing takes away from the fact that he's a great cyclist. Same thing with steroids in baseball - who cares (as long as they don't go around pusing it to others or publicizing it)? Just my .02. >>

DJ, I understand your argument that it doesn´t matter. That´s why I say legalize the stuff. As long as it is illegal there is one problem. What about the athletes who don´t want to take drugs cause they are afraid of the negative aspects? I know some people in the triathlon scene here in germany. They have pretty much the same situation as cycling. You either do drugs or you´ve got almost zero chances to compete. That´s just not a good situation IMO. But if you do legalize it there´s another problem: where do you stop? There are allready scientists who are experimenting with genetic doping. Are there athletes who are willing to take THAT risk? I´m pretty sure there are.

<< It's not a matter of being cynical - it's the truth. If you understood the various aspects and methods behind steroid use, you'd realize how easy it is to beat these tests. I knew several football and baseball players back in college who did two or more cycles a year. But none were ever caught, even after being tested. I don't know for sure if he uses them and am not 100% positive he doesn't. But to say that he doesn't and label that as truth is nothing more than an opinion since you don't really know either. >>

Pretty good example is Rumsas who finished 3rd in this years TDF. His wife was caught with EPO and steroids for a whole army. Not even high tech stuff, just plain old steroids. When I first heard of the doping suspicions with Rumsas I thought he must have used high tech stuff. Why? He was tested 3 times during TDF. All 3 tests were negative.

<< There's no arguing with you is there murph? It's either your way or the highway. >>

Amen to that. And Murph, I don´t think you even read ONE articel of the ones I posted. Otherwise you couldn´t have said I have nothing to back up my opinion. It really is alot of stuff. And I also doubt that you know very much about cycling. Before 98 they were using drugs like EPO as if it was orange juice. A lot of drivers actually admitted that after the scandal of 98. They said they took that stuff cause everyone did it and they wanted
to compete. I posted some of the bigger names allready. The list includes Pantani, Virenque, Rominger, Morau, Frigo, Garzelli.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote