View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Pau Gasol can play center, and he was dumped in a salary move

Hornets last year tried to trade Chandler for a few scrub expirings.

It can happen!
Chandler is probably the only one out of the batch of centers we're interested in. Kaman won't be had for a salary dump, Camby won't, Shaq could be for a partial one but they'll want some talent to go with it. But of course, the guy who is probably a lock for a salary dump has a lot of risk that goes along with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Neither Bynum nor Gasol are beating people with their speed. I could be wrong, but I don't see how Gortat helps us here any more than Damp does.

People have been saying this for several years now and frankly I think it's utter myth. It's just one of those conventional cliche's people just throw out there like "defense wins championships." The big, muscular centers of the league aren't going anywhere. Look around the league and I think you'll find a lot more Erick Dampiers than you will Amare's. Also, I think Gortat has a lot more in common with Dampier than you might think.

Again, I could be dead wrong, but I just don't see Gortat matching up much better with the Lakers than Dampier does. As long as Dirk Nowitzki is our starting 4, we're always going to have problems defensively with any team that has multiple options in the low post.

This I do agree with. From a longevity standpoint, he would be an excellent pick up.
Speed, strength and length...I saw all of those work in favor of Gortat when he was defending Gasol, I think he even had a block on Bynum. I don't think he's an imposing figure for slashers, but he definitely tries and can get a decent share of blocks. I don't think Dirk's D or lack of it should mean it knocks Gortat's potential down. Right now Gortat might not help more than Damp does...but I'm willing to go out on a limb that he would be able to sooner rather than later.

BTW, Defense DOES win championships, haha.

Gortat does have similarities to Damp, but I think the speed and offense ability can set Gortat above Damp. Gortat can finish in the same style as Chandler, Hollins, Birdman etc...he rolls off of picks very well and can finish. Damp doesn't have the hands to consistently handle simple to slightly difficult passes. Gortat runs the floor and if he continues to do that it's making the opposing team's center have to run back even harder and exert more energy. Eventually, he would make you pay for not keeping up and you'd have to adjust.

I'm basing this off the thought that Stack is going to be dealt for a guard. So if you've taken care of the guard position, what's the next thing to go for...the big. I still believe the value and pricetag is great for a big man like him. If this is the ONLY move we make, then it's not going to make us an elite team, but I'm pretty confident this isn't the only signing/move we would make. I think we'll do our thing with Stack, we can do this move and still be able to pick up 1, maybe 2 quality vets at a bargain price. So a new wing player, Gortat, a rookie, and 1-2 new vets: that's a pretty good start.

At worst, I think Gortat can get to Damp's level of performance...and he has a decent shot at exceeding it with it only being his 2nd season in the league and his first full year. The point is I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet and that's what should be considered. What you see now probably won't be the end result to his game, it can get better. So if you have that in-house and at the price of most of the MLE, that's cashing in before you miss out.