View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
GIGEMLAW

GIGEMLAW is on a distinguished road
Default RE:What does your future Mavs Offseason look like?

This is my first official post. But, I have been watchings these boards for a couple of years now.

What would I do to put the Humpty-Mavs back on the wall?

Start with what he have here.

Harris/Steffanson/AJ
Daniels/Finley/Stackhouse/Delk
Howard/TAW
Dirk/Walker/Fortson/Najera
Bradley/Laetner/Benga

We presently have the rights to Sekularac, P-Pod, and Flores. I don't think I missed anyone.

Here is what I think the Mavs should do.

1. Trade Walker plus the rights to Flores for Ilgauskas.
2. Trade Finley, Bradley, Fortson, Delk, and Future 1st Rounder for Rose and Carter.

This gives you a line-up of:

Rose/Harris/Steffanson/AJ
Daniels/Stackhouse
Carter/Howard/TAW
Dirk/Najera
Ilgauskas/Laetner/Benga/P-Pod

IR should be: TAW, P-Pod, and AJ

(This obviously isn't a permanet rotation because clearly Daniels could play the 1 or 3 as well, plus Rose could play the 2, Carter could play the 2 or 3, Laetner could play the 4 or 5 as could Benga)

What does this do for the Mavs - They get younger and more talented. They would still have one expiring contract in Laetner to trade, if necessary. They decrease there roster size. They upgrade at center, small forward, and point guard. They add a vet scoring PG to help train Harris. They add a small forward that could help with Howard and Daniels. They get rid of Walker and Finley's horrible contract. However, they do take on Carter's contract for 4 years and Rose's for 3 years. It's amazing that Rose is the higher paid person on the Raptors. Basically, Rose washes with Finley on contracts except Rose expires one year earlier. Carter's is 4 years compared to Delk's 2 years, Fortson's 3 years, and Bradley's 3 years.

What does this do for the Raptors - They get rid of the complaining Carter and dump Rose's contract. They get a few things they desparately need: a center (Bradley will be better in the East, less O'Neal's arrival), a starting shooting guard in Finley, rebounding to backup Bosh in Fortson, and Delk to serve as a backup SG to Finley. Plus, they get a future 1st rounder out of it.

What does this do for the Cavs - They replace Boozer and get a young PG to work as a backup. After all, James is no PG. I believe all they have is Kevin Ollie. Flores should be able to compete as a young backup PG with shooting skills.

That would be ideal for the Mavs. I am not sure that Toronto would do it unless they hit get rid of the cancer mode. Cavs could be quite realistic since they have two serviceable centers behind Ilgauskas, and are in need of a PF. Not sure if Walker fits the bill, however.

One other thought. Instead of the Toronto deal, how about a trade with New Orleans for Mashburn?

GIGEMLAW is offline   Reply With Quote