View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to call what I make a living, then Stand Up Comic.

I spent a year in college working on a music degree, but found that to be stifling to my creativity so I did what any other intelligent person would do. I dropped out started a death metal band and spent the next four years hooked on meth.

After realizing that was getting me nowhere, I kicked the habit (clean 5 years last October) and the band, and started playing music for hire in a r and b cover band. After doing a year of county fairs opening for likes of Eddie Money (awesome guy) and Joan Jett (total bitch) a member of the band said, "Hey I know a guy who does stand up and this band is going nowhere, you're funny let me put you in touch with him." Up to that point I never even thought of stand up as a career, but said, "what the hell" and tried it.

Well after a year of open mics and a year on the road doing guest spots and sleeping in my car, I got an offer to be the house MC in Knoxville Tn, so I moved and spent a year there honing my act. Now I tour the country as a solid feature act (That's the second guy on the bill who after the show always hears either "I thought you were better than the headliner", or "Oh hey, you were good too.")

Last year I put 45,000 miles on my car and body, I made a little under 30 grand (the most I've ever made in a year), Did countless shows in dive bars in front of 20 drunks, But I also got to do shows in theaters in front of 1000s and got to meet some of the coolest people in the world and see some of the most amazing places in this country, and Japan.

So yeah, I like my job!!!

Sorry about the diatribe.