View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #478
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
The graphic above has a cutoff of 200 shots which several people have criticized that there are lots of players just below that threshold that are in the low-60's. Still not in Steph range but good none the less.

Looking at just pure EFG% (which I honestly don't even know how is calculated):
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/pla...efg-percentage

#1 Rudy Gobert Utah Jazz C 69.8%
#6 Stephen Curry Golden State Warriors PG 64.6%
#10 DeAndre Jordan Dallas Mavericks C 62.7%
#67 Luka Doncic Dallas Mavericks SF 53.6%
#71 Wesley Matthews Dallas Mavericks SG 53.1%
#98 Dennis Smith Jr. Dallas Mavericks PG 50.5%

Steph is the first non-big guy at the top with Moore jumping in at #12. So I guess Steph is still amazing as if noone disputes that but Goldberry's graphic emphasizes it quite a bit more given the right numerical restriction of 200+ shots.

I love stats and all, but they can almost always either say what you want or reinforce what you want with the right set of restrictions. I honestly LOL at some of the stats that pop up during NBA and NFL games. They do anything they can to make games or players look amazing.
eFG is easy to calculate. Let's say you took 1 shot from 3-point range and made it and took no other shots. You have an eFG of 150%.

eFG = (2P + 1.5 * 3P) / FGA

So for Stephen Curry he has 60 2-pointers made, 62 3-pointers made, and 237 field goal attempts.

(60 + 1.5 * 62) / 237 = (60 + 93) / 237 = 153 / 237 = .646

I'd like to add how we should add to how crazy his stats are. This does not account for his free throw shooting. He's 48 for 52 from the free throw line (.923).

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 11-28-2018 at 12:09 AM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote