View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #93
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't know what to think at this point. I finally took the plunge and posted my long "State of the Mavs" in which I admitted that I was ready for the team to be torn down. Now...who knows?

I'm fairly doubtful that simply giving Kidd the keys to the play calling is going to have this large of an impact long term..but who knows?

As far as how it affects things at the trade deadline...I think this removes any possibility of the Mavs trading Josh unless they get an incredible no brainer. So now I think they're back to trying to see what they can get for, say, Stack and maybe Bass.

Kidd was never going to be traded at the deadline because they want his cap space in 2010. There is almost no chance Kidd gets a four year deal because teams are keeping space open for 2010, and a four year deal for Kidd will trigger the special over-36 contract restrictions.

There's no way Cubes makes the short term gamble on the Devin deal and then hedges his bets by trading Kidd before this season's deadline. Just don't see that happening.
Like mac222b mentioned, our current winning streak and standing in the western conference makes it a little easier to negotiate any possible trades. We’re no longer looking as desperate as we did when we were in 9th place, and could at least make other GMs believe that we don’t have to make changes at all cost to even make it to the playoffs. We’re not where we want to be, however, we’re not in desperation mode either. That’s a comfortable starting position.

As far as our last three games are concerned, I just don’t think that they have a huge effect on the big picture. We’re still no contenders, and to believe that more freedom on the court for an inspiring Jason Kidd, who is just a joy to watch, and the morale boost of adding DA to the coaching staff will help us beat the Celtics or Cavaliers from now on in a 7-game series seems somewhat unrealistic. After all, that’s what we want to achieve.

I do believe that we have the potential to beat any opponent, but we have to be consistent as a team. Besides our defense, consistency has been this team’s biggest weakness for quite some time, and I don’t expect it to change. Hopefully, a few impressive wins don’t influence the FO’s judgement to the extent that they come to the conclusion that we can try to win the big one again with the current roster and just “like our team”.

Quite frankly, I don’t know which moves would make most sense and help us become a contender again. Stack, Bass, Josh, and Kidd appear to be the most likely candidates for possible trades. I would be willing to trade them if the respective deals were promising.

In regards to Kidd, I don’t want to see him go, but he could really get us some nice pieces in return. Additionally, I’m a little scared that he could be offered a 2-year deal by the Lakers after this season and take it, even if it wasn’t the most lucrative contract. A line-up of Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Bryant, and Kidd seems unbeatable and alluring on paper, especially to a guy like Kidd who has made more money than he can spend and wants to cap off his career with a ring.

By the way, Josh has indeed been looking good and upbeat recently. Did anyone see him grin from ear to ear after JET finished that tough layup against Orlando? Still, I don’t trust him either, even though I would like to.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote