View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #123
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki View Post
My apoligies on getting your statement incorrect. The cursing is not necessary though.

It's inconsistent because if you are using DRB% to conclude that Barkley is slightly better since he has a slightly better DRB%, then wouldn't you also have to conclude that 35 individuals were better defensive rebounders than Moses Malone, since his DRB% has his 36th on the list? You are basically saying this is your conclusion based on the metric (they have near the same %). So wouldn't that theory hold for other comparisons, such as Moses Malone being 36th on the list?

Moses Malone played until he was 39. I have already mentioned this to you once, but when you are using numbers to compare players you have to take into account that one is currently playing and has yet to really hit their decline and one (ala Moses Malone or Karl Malone) is finished playing and their final average includes post prime years, which causes theur numbers to drop. Dirk has played 13 seasons and is 32 or 33. Go look at Malone's numbers from his first 13 years and I guarentee you his drb avg was not the same as Dirk's.

I am arguing that if I use the metric in the same manner that you are using it, then the conclusions tell me that 35 people were better defensive rebounders than Moses Malone. That's not an accurate conclusion. These are the types of inconsistencies that I'm referring to. The same goes for PER, which tells me that David Robinson was more productive than Kareem, Wilt and Hakeem.
What ARE you arguing?

You say that Moses' DRB% is lower because he played until he was 39...this is in part true. So why are you surprised that X amount of guys have better DRB% than him, when you already conclude that his DRB% (AND raw DRPG) is lower bc he played so late in his career?

Malone, in his PRIME had a higher DRB% than Dirk in his prime...so I'm not seeing the point of contention.

If we look at MM's PRIME, I'm guessing he is no longer 35th. He's 35th, in part, because as we've already established, his rebounding declined with age.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote