View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #129
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
just a question - comparing Hakeem and Camby who is a better defensive rebounder?
Your tone implies the former and in such a way that there's no question about it. or perhaps i'm misunderstanding what you've implied. thanks.
Maybe I need to explain myself better (response to you and Murphy3. No, I do not think Marcus Camby is the 5th best defensive rebounder in league history since 70-71. Just like I don't think there were 12 players better than Magic, Bird, Hakeem and Oscar, since neither is in the top 12 in PER, which has LeBron #2 and I think it's fair to say no one thinks he is a top 3 player all-time. These lists have too many of these inconsistencies for me to rely on them above raw numbers. The fact that PER has David Robinson above Wilt, Duncan, Kareem and Hakeem should make everyone toss it out the window (as far as using it to rank players).

And my argument isn't necessarily that Hakeem is a better defensive rebounder than Camby, even though I think he was. My argument is look at how the metric is created and the results that it produces. Using the Hakeem/Camby example, Hakeem has multiple seasons where he grabbed more drb's than Camby or was in the same range, yet he has never hit 30% even though Camby hit that mark 8 times. My argument is....are you really saying Hakeem NEVER had a defensive rebounding season as good as Camby's top 8 seasons? Not once can you say he was a better defensive rebounder than Camby at his peak? Not even the 89/90 season, where he grabbed 10.4 drp's per night and led the LEAGUE in defensive rebounds by a wide margin (850 to 680 for David Robinson, who did play a full 82 games)? That lone season was never better than over half of Camby's? That's not an accurate conclusion.

These advanced metrics are another way to analyze the data, based on different estimates. But the conclusions don't always make sense. It doesn't make much sense to say Hakeem never had a better defensive rebounding season than 8 of Camby's seasons, not even when he led the entire NBA in defensive boards.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote