View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #63
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
His argument is that a majority of the people who try and mimic the training goals of the magazines, infomercials, and even CrossFit is not beneficial to the overall health and fitness of the individual. Instead of trying to please the aethstetic needs of our psychy with trying to get washboard abs, bulging biceps, or an unhealthy bf% you need to build a foundational strength. He's obviously not talking to you. He's talking to the poor sap who is ignorant and misguided by bad information or lack of.
To be clear, I actually completely agree with a lot of his argument. I've always learned to build a strength-training routine primarily around compound movements focusing on large & multiple muscle groups (namely, as you said, presses, squats, and dead lifts). I'm not a big muscly dude by any means, but I've always tried to build my routine around that basic concept.

My only problem with his article is he occasionally goes a step beyond that point and tries to subjugate cardio work to strength training. And he's not just focusing on specific training programs he thinks are bogus--he puts cardio work as a whole below strength training as a whole. That's where he overreaches, and that's where he loses me even though I don't do much cardio myself.

I get that he's ultimately advocating for a training program that incorporates both, but I think his comments on the relative merits of the two are unnecessary, unhelpful, and lacking in sound premise. And again, that's too bad because I agree with you that the bulk of his article contains a very salient point.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote