View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #67
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Yep...the weight thing can be a bit of a frustration.

I've gone from 261 to 180...today, I'm 186 ... up 6 in less than 10 days, but still getting lean.

Hydration levels can cause my weight to go/down 3-6 pounds in a sitting.

I've had HUGE success mixing up the workouts (Cardio and Resistance) This whole Muscle Confusion thing really works...at least for my body it does. It's even helped me to gain speed and strength!!!

I know its still slow, but I am around a 10-11 minute mile for a sustained pace over 5-10 miles. Considering that I started nearly 2 years ago at about a 20-30 minute mile pace.

The strength, I'm up to 50+ Push Ups without a break and 10 Chin Ups without a break...up from 5-10 Push Ups nearly 2 years ago, and virtually -0- Chin Ups!!!

The trick, is rather simple. It's the old saying of one day at a time. One Workout at a time, and one meal at a time. Focus and Discipline...when I'm motivated its no problem, when I find myself distracted, I ask myself...what do I value more, the fitness goal or whatever is the distraction at the time.

Truth be known, the distraction does win once in a while...but never twice in a row and no more than once in a week!!!

I also have to accept that at my age and with my knees, I can no longer do sports that require agility (Soccer, Basketball, etc...) I have no ACL's and if I plant and twist, my knee goes. Thus my fitness is straight forward or backwards, and I modify when I do leg work by recognizing my own limits and working out within those boundaries.

I'm stronger today at 43, then back when I was in the Army. My core is stronger...but, at 43, I do encounter limitations that my old 18 year old self didn't worry about. Recovery/Cool Down time is a bit longer now...stretching is more important...hydration...all those things that I took for granted in my younger days.

That being said, fitness is possible for ANYONE and EVERYONE, if they want it.

So best of success to each of you, find your sweet spots and enjoy the rides!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote