Thread: Mavs 2012 Draft
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
It's been 8 years since the worst team got the first pick... I understand not rewarding a team that tanks, but what about teams that are just BAD, like the Bobcats? They suck every year, but they never get any better through the draft because they never get a top pick - there's definitely a downside to the lottery system that ASSUMES that all the worst teams are tanking.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I don't think the draft was rigged, I just think it's an unjust system in its current form (nor do I have any ideas on how to fix it).
72.4% chance rests in the worst 4. Can we agree that this is adequate in compensation for the bottom 4? I think it's fair to give the bottom 4 a near 3/4ths chance.

I personally like the more equal chance these 4 teams get. Tanking and sucking cannot be separated. I understand the need for terrible teams to get better, but we can't dangle a 33% or higher prize to the worst team. If someone like LeBron was coming out the next year people would consider roster moves to improve their chances. If it was 50% or more then it would be begging for tanking.