View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Antawn Jamison's Trade Value Or Lack Of

1st of all, I would think that McGrady is all but untouchable. There is only a handful of players that could pry him loose and the only one on the Mavs is Dirk.

2nd of all, I don't think that Vince Carter is that untouchable, but he certainly didn't fill the need for the warriors that NVE did. Plus It's very likely that the Raptors didn't want to take the Potato.

As for Jamison contract, well teams will be willing to accept a high salary in a trade that pay one out in FA. Why? Because you have to have 100% of the salary offered to be available in cap space. Most teams don't have that. But if you trade, you lose cape dollars basically equal to those you take on. So yes a team would be taking on big dollar with Jamison, but they would be dumping fairly close to the same dollars. So if the have someone even more overpaid than you think Jamision is, and I'm sure there are at lease several players like that, then this makes sense. If a team has a need that Jamison fills but rundancy in a nother position, then they would be willing to trade their rundundant talent to fill their need.

Also be aware that circumstances change and the price teams are willing to accept for talent can change. I'm sure that Bonzi's cussing of cheeks made him cheaper, as did Kobe's alledged rape, as did TMac's recent coach and player snipings. I'm not saying that the price for these three dropped a lot, but I'm sure that each team would be willing to take a little less than they previously would have. Sometimes a little is all that was keeping a deal from being made.

Also Jamison salary can work for the Mavs as it could allow a team to dump several undesirables which in total would match Jamison's salary. The Mavs might be able to take the bad players to get a good player with a cheap contract. Many teams, including the warriors, might not have especially if these were long term contracts. Would you rather overpay one good player or several really bad players?

In other words there are many factors to be considered. But IMO it would be in the Mavs best interest not to do any more trades this year. I could only see a trade where we got a huge big man talent such as Jermaine O'Neal or KG(the player), and quite frankly I just don't see that as being a reasonable possibility.