View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default Finley among three Mavs now nursing ankles

Finley among three Mavs now nursing ankles

10:08 PM CST on Tuesday, November 9, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

ORLANDO – It would be OK to call the Mavericks the walking wounded, except that one of them couldn't walk.

Michael Finley became the latest in a strikingly long line of ankle injuries when he sprained his right ankle with 7:48 to go in the third quarter of Tuesday's 94-84 loss to Orlando. After limping to the locker room, he left TD Waterhouse Centre on crutches.

Coach Don Nelson called the injury a second-degree sprain. Marquis Daniels could not play basketball for nearly three months after a third-degree sprain suffered in the off-season.

And there is more bad news. While Daniels remains rusty, Josh Howard twisted his left ankle in the first quarter and Dirk Nowitzki reported that bone spurs in his right ankle have acted up during the last two games.

Add it up and the Mavericks barely have a leg to stand on.

"That's four of 'em," Nelson said. "We have our fill of ankle sprains."

Finley's appears to be the most severe. He's been ruled out of Thursday's game at Miami and there is a chance he will be sent home before the trip continues at New Jersey and Washington.

"It's always frustrating when you're not able to help your teammates," Finley said. "I've rolled it like that before, but after I ran back after the free throws, I knew it wasn't right. I just want to get back as soon as I can."

Finley stepped on Hedo Turkoglu's foot while driving to the basket.

Nowitzki, meanwhile, said the problem with his right ankle is similar to the problem in his left ankle that required surgery three summers ago.

"I think one of those spurs is a little irritated," he said. "It was sore before (Monday's) game and afterward it swelled up. If this only happens once or twice a year, it's OK. I don't want to have surgery if I don't have to."

Nowitzki considered not playing Tuesday and ended up shooting just 5-of-16 from the field, netting 20 points.

Not firing blanks: Don Nelson likes to talk about a six-shooter he starts each season with. He figures there's only a half-dozen times when he can go into the locker room and chew out his team.

If he yells any more than that, the players tend to treat it like he's crying wolf.

Nelson said, "I didn't feel like I used up a whole bullet," on Monday night when he challenged his team at the break against Golden State. Nelson was miffed that the Mavericks had gotten off to a poor start in consecutive games.

Holey-moly: There was a hole in the wall of the visiting locker room at TD Waterhouse Centre. It was strangely similar to the size of a large fist.

Shawn Bradley had to give it an examination.

"It was a center, definitely," he said, noting that the size of the punch was similar to the size of his balled-up fist.

Then he noticed another small nick in the wall just below the big hole.

"That must have been a sportswriter," he said.

Briefly: Marquis Daniels needed to round up 31 tickets for Tuesday's game to fulfill the requests of family and friends in the Orlando area, where he grew up. ... Which NBA player has a Batman tattoo on his left bicep? Orlando's Tony Battie, formerly of Texas Tech. ... Though they came in with the same rookie class, Devin Harris said he didn't know much about Orlando rookie Jameer Nelson. "I just know he was one of the last ones in the green room at the draft," Harris said. That's a bad thing. Nobody wants to sit back there while everybody else's name gets called." ... Count ESPN's Greg Anthony among those jumping on the Mavericks' bandwagon. He said recently that the Mavericks are a team that "could really dethrone" the Spurs as Texas' best team. "Potentially, this team could be the best in Texas when it's all said and done," Anthony said.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote