View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #91
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
And do you think Carlisle's overuse of JJB helped or hurt the latter's +/-?

Coaching decisions re: JJB vs. Booby aside, these simple facts remain: 1) JJB, who you allege is the team's biggest weak spot as the team's backup PG, was frequently out on the court in lieu of a true shooting guard, 2) the team's starting point guard spent (as near as I can calculate from some incomplete statistics) somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000+ minutes on court last season paired up with at least one player who was shorter than him, and 3) the guy who's gotten the bulk of the minutes at SG the past 4-5 years (JET) is going to have to have his role on the team scaled back due to age-related slippage.

When it comes to diagnosing the primary issue facing the team this offseason it doesn't get any clearer than that. Keep JJB, trade JJB...if the team doesn't acquire or develop an entrenched starter at the SG position the backup point guard slot won't make one bit of difference.
Carlisle overplaying Barea made it more likely that his negative plus/minus would insert its ugly head into the results of the game. The law of averages say he will fail if played long enough. We are lacking a starting shooting guard but our backup shooting guards are fine. We just need someone that plays at a higher level. So I'll say we need a better shooting guard and a backup point guard. Maybe Beaubois can help in one of those categories. I'd prefer Beaubois to be both the backup shooting guard and backup point guard.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 05-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote