View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #19
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:Nader rips Kerry as "Gutless, Spineless, Clueless and Hapless"

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
The Democrats ARE cowards on this issue, and I can't believe you're supporting their cowardice, Mavdog. I expected better.
do you not support the equitable application of the law?
Nice attempt to create a strawman, but no dice.

If Nader doesn't comply with the election laws in each state and doesn't do his part to get on the ballot, fine. But when Democrats file lawsuits and other legal challenges to try and keep Nader off the ballot, that is a different matter altogether. That demonstrates cowardice and hypocrisy.
The lawsuits by the DNC are seeking enforcement of the laws on the criteria for being a candidate, so they are doing exactly what you say "fine" to.

Quote:
Should the law be ignored based on purely political criteria?

I would be critical of either party if they used their positions of power to erect barriers to a candidate based on their perception of possible damage by having that candidate on the ballot. The DNC however is seeking equal enforcement of the existing law, he law that was on the books prior to Nader's candidacy.

I am surprised that you would support subversion of the law kg.
I'm not supporting subversion of the law, Mavdog. I'm arguing that it is hypocritical and cowardly for the Democrats to argue on the one hand that everyone's vote should be counted and then on the other hand try and prevent a candidate that many people will vote for from getting on the ballot. For those folks that want to vote for Nader, are their votes to be counted or not?[/quote]

Those who desire to vote for Nader can do so either by working to place his name on the ballot via the law for a candidate to qualify or by writing in Nader on their ballot. either way their vote will be counted, and the rule of law is maintained.

Quote:
But hey, this is an excellent illustration of a dichotomy that exists between liberal and conservative thinking. Liberals think legally, and conservatives think morally. It is immoral and hypocritical for Democrats to challenge Nader's right to be on the ballot, but it is certainly legal.
odd, seeking enforcement of the law is seen as "immoral and hypocritical?"

yeah, the conservative thinking is purely moral and not legal. That's shown in all the laws they advocate in respect to victimless crimes.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote