View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 PM   #12
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
It's not just about points. Anybody who has ever watched an NBA can see the change in intensity at different times of the game. Playoffs are at a different level. End of games are different also. Closing strong to end the 2nd quarter is more important than the end of the 1st imo because of the layover during halftime interval. I'd rather Luka play the first half of the third and come back beginning of the 4th, so he has several minutes to warm up and get himself back in the flow of the game. I prefer this, so he can close strong instead of him coming in with 6 minutes left and then trying to get back in a groove while the most critical minutes in the game are winding down. Just my .02.

If you really want to parse things, then there's no rule he can't come out with 2 minutes left to end the third and then come back into the 4th with 8 minutes left. I just think the coach should zero in on what works best for Luka's effectiveness and energy level.
I understand the intensity thing, but that’s always at the the end of halves. The same way you could argue that playing the whole fourth means he is in the groove for the end, you could also say that if he rests at the beginning of the quarter, he will have more energy to finish the game.

I agree that it’s whatever works best for the player, and I kind of agree that he could come out a couple minutes earlier in the third and come play a little longer in the fourth. I looked at what other teams are doing, and most of them use a similar pattern to the way Rick uses Luka with their star players. Just from the last couple of days Kyrie, Durant, Davis, Lilliard, Hayward, Kawhi all rotate the same way. Paul is kind of an exception.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote